ABOUT THE PROJECT
Ballet BC Annex project, a joint venture with Arts Umbrella Dance, offers an invaluable opportunity for secondary school students to engage in world-class dance and educational programming. From Nov 21-Dec 9, the Annex project will tour schools in Metro Vancouver and throughout BC, bringing contemporary dance repertoire, professional performances, and workshops to young audiences with an interest in the arts. This season, we are thrilled to present Canadian choreographer Ethan Colangelo’s Stadium and a new creation by Los Angeles-based choreographer Micaela Taylor.
Workshops led by dancers and Ballet BC’s Associate Director of Outreach and Education will accompany each performance, offering insight into the choreographic process and the career path of a dancer. Students will learn excerpts from the performance and engage in creative discussion.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Ballet BC Annex dancers as well as select guest artists will visit your school or community location.
The half-day program will consist of the opportunity to watch a performance and participate in a dancer-facilitated workshop learning Ballet BC repertoire. There will also be an opportunity for students to engage with the artists and ask questions.
Resources such as a study guide and information about the performance and choreographers will be shared with participating schools.
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND EXPERIENCES
- Exposure to diverse professional dance training and repertoire
- Opportunity to engage with and learn from professional Ballet BC dancers
- An understanding of dance as a career path
- Development of relevant criteria for interpreting and analyzing dance
- An understanding of the power of collaboration and teamwork in artistic processes
- An understanding of contemporary dance in today’s world and how art remains relevant
- Activation of creativity and innovative thinking
If you are a teacher or administrator who is interested in participating in the Ballet BC Annex project, please contact email@example.com.
This program is presented in collaboration with: