Don't miss this amazing opportunity to work with the artists of Ballet BC
We are excited to announce the second edition of the Ballet BC Emily Molnar Emerging Choreographer Award! As a company dedicated to choreographic development, the award offers a fantastic opportunity for an emerging choreographer to collaborate and partner with an internationally renowned, creation-based contemporary dance company.
Ballet BC is committed to supporting new and diverse perspectives in dance. We invite submissions from choreographers with at least three years of professional experience in creating dance works. The award will be selected through a juried application process open to emerging Canadian and international choreographers.
The award recipient will receive a commissioning fee and be invited to create a 20-25 minute work for the company as part of our seasonal programming at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver, BC. Leading up to the March 6-8, 2025 premiere of the new creation, the choreographer will have a four-week residency with the company at Ballet BC’s studios situated on the unceded homelands of xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ (Tsleil Waututh) Nations. The residency will provide access to Ballet BC resources and team in order to support and nurture the choreographer’s work—from the creation process to the technical rehearsals and staging the final work.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line “Emerging Choreographer Award application” and should include the following components:
- A 500-word letter of intention as to why you are applying for this award, what you hope to learn and what impact it can have on your artistic practice.
- A one-page project proposal including a description of the new work, the physical and technical support required for the work, and how this project will impact your development as a choreographer.
- A one-page resume or CV describing training, professional, and other relevant experience.
- Excerpts from two examples of recent and contrasting performance works totalling 10 minutes and submitted in video format. Videos can be posted on Youtube, Vimeo, or a private webpage. Include the link, and the password if the video is password protected, in your email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submissions is November 10, 2023, and the successful applicant will be notified in early 2024. The winner will be publicly announced with the release of Ballet BC’s 2024/25 season.
The 2023 Jury consists of:
- Medhi Walerski – Artistic Director, Ballet BC
- Rupert Tookey – Director of Artistic Operations, Ballet BC
- Caroline Ohrt – Executive Producer, NAC Dance
- Margaret Grenier – Executive and Artistic Director, Dancers of Damelahamid
Ballet BC is an equal opportunity employer, and welcomes all those who would contribute to further diversifying our company. We believe we are made stronger by our unique combination of culture, race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Learn more about Ballet BC’s Commitment to Anti-Racism here.