Ballet BC is looking for an experienced and well-organized professional who has a passion for the arts to join our team as the Stage Manager. Working in concert with the Artistic and Production departments, the Stage Manager provides primary production support to the organization by collaborating in executing the production plan for Ballet BC’s creations and tours.
Rehearsal and Performance Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn the repertoire choreography for cueing and technical comprehension.
- Stage Manager is responsible for running and controlling the performance. The Stage Manager is in charge of calling all the production elements and artists for each work, ensuring show continuity and accurate artistic reproduction.
- Stage Manager in collaboration with the Technical Director will ensure the timely execution of the production schedule in venue, recording and distributing changes to the schedule as needed, when approved.
- Responsible for the creation and updating of Cue Sheets show summary’s, and all related or required stage management documentation for each piece and detailing all aspects of the production of each piece for remounting each ballet in the future.
- Preparing and distributing applicable cuing notes for stage, fly and audio, where additional information is required.
- The Stage Manager will provide show and studio reports, production timings summaries, spike charts, and other requested documentation to the Director of Production for archives.
- Theatre duties will include assigning dressing rooms, setting up callboard, recording and maintaining attendance sheets.
- Update and post daily rehearsal or stage schedules, in co-ordination with Artistic Department and Production while in venue and on tour.
- Maintenance of all “stage” supplies for the dancers, security of dancers’ valuables.
- Oversee and manage props preparation and prop pre-set on and off stage as required.
- Responsible for spiking, placement and recording the spike locations.
- Company paging and cueing systems, meet the theatre representative to learn the theatre rules and regulations, deal with venue representative and front of house staff regarding timings, intervals, etc.
- May be requested by the Company to make public announcements concerning casting changes, program changes or sponsor acknowledgement.
- Assist electricians with special focus, cueing options, and cueing sessions, when deemed necessary by the Company.
- Assist the Technical Director as required.
- Assist with set-up and teardown as required.
- Responsible for being at all production rehearsals that include dancers or technical staff.
- Rehearsal studio responsibilities include but are not limited to, management of any rehearsal props or scenery required in the studio. Spiking and noting location of spikes for replacement if required. Operating audio and video systems as required.
- Studio maintenance management – maintain studio systems or document deficiencies as needed and report to Artistic Administrator.
- Prepare and edit audio files for rehearsal and production, for hand off to technical team while in the theatre, or on tour.
- As required per production identify, develop and apply emergency protocols for on-stage and backstage during performances.
Tour Preparation Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in advance planning and venue research as required.
- Research and engage additional studio spaces while on tour, which are required outside of performance venues. This excludes audition studios.
- Set up and ensure studio readiness for company class or rehearsal.
- From time to time, the Stage Manager may be asked to manage and care for wardrobe on tour as needed.
Production Administration Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and distribute production and artistic meeting minutes.
- Collaborate with Director of Production in creation of production schedules, ensuring contract compliance for artistic and production staff.
- Research and acquire all commercially available CD’s for each work.
- Update, maintain and distribute the audio and video rehearsal and performance archive for the repertoire.
- Manage and maintain, office, studio and stage first aid kits and comfort kits.
- Understand and advise on terms of the Dancer contract, ensuring compliance, and record and report approved overtime to the Company Manager and Financial Administration.
The above list is not exclusive or exhaustive and the Employee will be required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the position. All members of the Company are required to be professional, co-operative and flexible and in-line with the needs of the Company, it is code of conduct, and safe workplace policies.
Please send your CV and Letter of Intent by Monday, August 12, 2019, 5:00pm, via email to HR (at) balletbc.com, Attention: Director of Production.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Full Job Description
At Ballet BC, we live, create, and work on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.