Associate Artistic Director
Reports to: Artistic Director
Responsible for: Coordination, development and delivery of all company programming in collaboration with the Artistic Director
Ballet BC is seeking an experienced, progressive, collaborative dance professional to assume the role of full-time Associate Artistic Director. Reporting to the Artistic Director, the Associate Artistic Director is responsible for the coordination, development and delivery of all company programming in line with the Artistic Director’s vision, and the company mandate and objectives.
The successful candidate must have a solid background in ballet and contemporary dance, extensive experience in the creation of new and progressive dance works and a desire to work in an intimate, collaborative and positive work environment. He/she will possess a passion for contemporary dance, sensitivity to the demands and challenges of the creative process, the flexibility to work with a variety of choreographers in a wide range of choreographic styles, and the ability to lead and inspire company dancers. He/she will also have broad knowledge of the Canadian and international dance scene, a strong work ethic and excellent communication skills.
Roles and Relationships
- Maintains a strong collaborative artistic partnership with the Artistic Director, with guest choreographers, dancers and all members of the artistic team;
- Works collaboratively with the Company Manager, Artistic Administrator, the Director of Production & Operations, Stage Manager, rehearsal assistants and all administrative staff;
- Fosters communication and positive relationships with the local, national and international artistic communities and with the community at large; and
- Is an ambassador, representative and spokesperson for the company and its artistic objectives, and, at all times, acts in the best interest of the company.
- Demonstrates strong artistic leadership;
- Creates and fosters a creative, collaborative and open ambience in the studio;
- Leads, inspires, motivates and engages Ballet BC dancers;
- Coordinates the hiring and scheduling of guest teachers and pianists for company class;
- Teaches company class on a regular basis;
- Acts as Rehearsal Director during the rehearsal of repertoire in studio and assists guest choreographers as necessary;
- Effectively documents rehearsals and performances, with video and written documentation as required, and reviews them with the Artistic Director, artists and the Stage Manager;
- Gains and maintains a solid working knowledge and understanding of the Addendum that governs the relationship between the company and the dancers to facilitate scheduling and procedures and to ensure the wellbeing of the dancers;
- Produces, circulates and posts the daily rehearsal schedule and casting for works in keeping with the Addendum;
- Coordinates the rehearsal activities of guest choreographers and other artists working with the dancers;
- Communicates all casting changes to the appropriate personnel including the Stage Manager, Wardrobe Manager, Marketing Manager as necessary;
- Advises the Artistic Director on the development, promotion and implementation of policies and procedures that promote the health and welfare of the dancers and the efficient use of company resources;
- Works with Artistic Director, artistic team and staff to help develop and coordinate outreach programs and collaborations with Ballet BC’s official training institution Arts Umbrella; and
- Must be willing to tour with the company when needed.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit the following:
- Cover letter that includes why you are interested in this position and the company, what you hope to learn, and what impact it might have on your professional development
- Recent head shot
- A video or video link showing a recent work for which they have had preparation responsibility
Electronic applications preferred. Please submit applications and support material to:
HR (at) balletbc.com.
Applications will be accepted until 5pm on Thursday, February 28, 2019.
Reports to: Executive Director (ED) and Artistic Director (AD)
Ballet BC is looking for a well-organized professional who has a passion for the arts and is an excellent verbal communicator and natural facilitator. As this leading contemporary ballet company expands, an executive assistant is needed to project manage and facilitate communications for the artistic and executive directors. Candidates should enjoy working collaboratively, scheduling for multiple people, and facilitating communications between a broad range of departments. Proven ability to handle sensitive and confidential information. This is an excellent opportunity for a professional to learn about and enhance the inner workings of an internationally recognized dance company, and assist a rapidly growing company become more effective and efficient.
- Manages all correspondence with the board of directors;
- Coordinates board meetings, including compiling all material and creation of agendas;
- Assists in the administrative oversight and planning of the outreach and education extension of the company, including meetings and correspondence with the Outreach and Education Manager and facilitators;
- Assists in travel coordination & calendar management for ED & AD;
- Assists in HR matters, including processing of offer letters, employment agreements, correspondence to applicants and the on-boarding process;
- Maintains all organization-wide documents, i.e. contact list, org. chart, Employee Handbook and artistic calendars;
- Shares, updates and reminds employees of office policies & procedures;
- Schedules and organizes all staff and management meetings, keeps minimal notes (action steps), and assists in follow-up for management;
- Inputs all donor contacts in CRM for the Executive Director and Artistic Director;
- Executes all letters of reference/support for AD and ED;
- Assists AD with all auditions correspondence;
- Liaises with the facility management of both the administrative and artistic office and studio spaces;
- Assists the AD with coordination of various artistic administrative duties;
- Assists with company-wide and patrons events;
- Maintains strict confidentiality about all company information at all times; and
- Other duties as assigned.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and Letter of Intent via email to info (at) balletbc.com.
Attention: Executive Director
Applications will be accepted until 5pm on Friday, March 1, 2019.
Reports to: Artistic Director (AD)
Ballet BC is looking for an experienced and well-organised professional who has a passion for the arts to join our team as the Company Manger.
Ballet BC is looking for a well-organized professional who has a passion for the arts and is an excellent verbal communicator and natural facilitator. As this leading contemporary ballet company expands, a company manager is needed to project manage and facilitate communications for the artistic and executive directors. Candidates should enjoy working collaboratively, scheduling for multiple people, and facilitating communications between a broad range of departments. Proven ability to handle sensitive and confidential information. This is an excellent opportunity for a professional to learn about and enhance the inner workings of an internationally recognized dance company, and assist a rapidly growing company become more effective and efficient.
Company Related Responsibilities
- Serve as Ballet BC company representative with presenting and producing partners, as well as general public;
- Provide support for and communication with Company Artists and Representatives in a professional, efficient and timely manner;
- Work with Rehearsal Directors on company rehearsal schedule;
- Work with Artistic Director on specific projects;
- Track and manage Company and Artist time off;
- Keep, and as needed, provide all necessary company related data and statistics for public and private funders;
- Responsible for Work Safe reporting for Dancers – reporting to Finance Director; and
- Maintain dancer records of overtime, meal breaks – report overtime to Financial Director.
Production Related Responsibilities
- Together with the Director of Production & Operations, create, execute and track artists’ budgets, and develop and advise on cost and payment of artistic performance expenses;
- Manage in-theatre artist hospitality;
- Manage all travel logistics for guest collaborators (flights ground hotel and per diem);
- Arrange company and production house seat holds;
- Keep, and as needed, provide all necessary production related data and statistics for public and private funders;
- Back stage door list for QET – preparation and management; and
- Complimentary drink ticket distribution.
Tour Related Responsibilities
- Work closely with Director of Production & Operations to advance all Ballet BC engagements;
- Prepare annual tour expense budget in collaboration with Director of Production & Operations;
- Coordinate touring logistics to include travel, hotel and per diem distribution;
- Support Company Artists fully throughout touring experience including pre and post travel including local taxi voucher management;
- Together with Marketing Manager, coordinate and oversee all tour related marketing;
- Keep, and as needed, provide all necessary tour related data and statistics for public and private funders;
- Engage in planning outreach projects in relation to the company tour;
- Manage company applications for entry visas; and
- Purchase supplemental insurance for emerging artists and guest artists and contractors as needed.
Artistic Related Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director, coordinate all aspects of artist auditions;
- Oversee and coordinate the Nutcracker auditions and rehearsals with the contracted guest company;
- Ensure compliance with relevant agreements as to benefits, pay and work rules;
- Liaise with the Marketing Manager, for artistic marketing requests;
- Manage all aspects of projecting, and verifying artists’ payroll and other in collaboration with the Finance Director;
- In collaboration with Finance Director, oversee unemployment claims, holiday pay, etc.; and
- Provide oversight and coordination of Physical Therapy and Wellness program and contract staff.
Outreach Related Responsibilities
- In collaboration with other staff members, assist with education program alongside current productions.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and Letter of Intent via email to info (at) balletbc.com.
Attention: Artistic Director
Application open until filled.