Ballet BC marked its 35th anniversary with MOMENTUM, a celebratory gala at Vancouver’s Rocky Mountaineer Station on June 4, 2022.
It was truly an unforgettable evening. We welcomed almost 300 guests into a breathtaking space, where they enjoyed all-new performances by Ballet BC company artists accompanied by mezzo-soprano Emma Parkinson and pianist Perri Lo under the direction of Medhi Walerski. Across the live and silent auctions, prize draw, paddle raise, and additional generously donated gifts, we raised $350,000 for the future of Ballet BC!
We would like to extend a huge thank you to our MOMENTUM co-chairs Julian Scott and Samantha Cunliffe, along with the entire gala committee and our fabulous co-hosts, Fred Lee and Tamara Taggart. Our deepest gratitude to our presenting sponsor McCarthy Tetrault, and all of our incredible event sponsors for making MOMENTUM possible—BMO, Burgundy, Leith Wheeler, The Carlson Family, Amir and Yasmin Virani Family Foundation, Freight Simple, Horsman Family Foundation, Blacks, Brooke and Tracey Wade Foundation, The Lazy Gourmet, The Classics and Steamworks.
- All gallery and photo display walls were repurposed set pieces from past Ballet BC productions.
- Scenic elements from Medhi Walerski’s Natus and Petite Cérémonie, as well as William Forsythe’s Enemy in the Figure were all on display throughout the space.
- All costumes for the installation and performances were reused or recycled from existing textiles and costume pieces from past Ballet BC productions.
- QR codes were used in place of paper or display signage wherever possible.
- As always, no plastic water bottles were used backstage by artists or crew members.
We are so grateful for the overwhelming support of our community that continues to propel Ballet BC to new heights both at home in Vancouver and around the world. We look forward to sharing this next chapter with you!